In the past I thought doing anything to my body would be okay because my body could magically bounce back to what it was before. Now? The most important thing I think about nowadays when it comes to myself is how to minimise the harm I could do to my body from the things I eat to products I use and the clothing and shoes I wear. I feel like a total hippy but alas, prevention is better than treatment.
Why should I do more harm to the body than it will already have to suffer due to the very inevitable process of ageing itself?
This question brings me to my main point which is that I’ve almost entirely given up on the thought and act of wearing high heels more than once in maybe half a year. In the past I longed to grow up and be able to wear high heels as they made adults who wore them look so grown up, sexy and sophisticated. Rather than planning what sexy shoes I’ll wear to show off my legs at my upcoming graduation I’m actually planning how to bring flat shoes and wear high heels JUST to take pictures with. Sneaky sneaky!
How did I get the stage of starting a no heels ban?
- heels push all the pressure to the front of the foot including the ball and toes causing very sore and the feeling that my feet are ‘on fire’
- as all the pressure in on my (long) toes and the front of heels are often narrow which squeezes the toes together, it caused ugly bunions and nerve damage on my toes and bleeding blisters on the back of my heels as well
TRUE STORY: at one point in time when I wore heels often I found I could not properly feel the outer side of my little toe for months as it was squished so badly by the narrow front of the shoes, it scared me greatly to think that I could never be able to feel a part of my body that was clearly there
- my calve muscles would get extremely overworked due to the awkward position the heels created causing muscle tightness and well as soreness
- I am very scared that varicose veins could possibly appear due to the stress on the muscles and veins in the calves and leg from wearing heels – I guarantee that no lady would ever willing want to have varicose veins on their legs and have to receive surgery to remove them
- as heels force me to walk unnaturally compared to how I would normally, my spine can take and probably already has taken a beating which can cause bad posture and permanent spinal problems
- health reasons aside – in practicality it is greatly easier to walk and run in flat shoes so imagine being able to catch that train to work you would have otherwise missed if you had been hobbling over in heels – it’s a great perk at least for me anyway
In order to prevent permanent damage to my own body, I have decided to avoid wearing heels at all costs. I have to admit, high heels look awesome and sexy when you wear them (once in a while) but to force your feet into such unnatural positions for the sake of ‘beauty’? No thanks. Maybe we can all discuss the meaning of beauty in the future when our bodies aren’t riddled with all these high heel related problems.
Let’s swap the madness of being put together for being healthy and opt for a nice pair sneakers instead of grabbing those killer stilettos.
Please like/share and comment if this post was enjoyable for you!